Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Keeping A Family Tradition Alive

Last weekend I attended my family reunion. It was the 87th Annual Ennis Family Reunion, held in Benson, NC. While going to a family reunion may not mean much these days to a lot of people -- it means a lot to me.
For one thing it's a braggin' rite. I know of no other family that has been gathering each year for 87 years (if you know of one please let me know). And the other big reason I make the effort to drive 200 miles each way to a reunion--is my dad.
Attending the family reunion each year was like Christmas to my dad, Preston Ennis. My dad was not a big, important man in the world's eyes. He didn't have a lot of money and he wasn't on anyone's Who's Who List-- but he was a hero to me.
He taught me some very simple but important values; values like the importance of visiting the sick and those who weren't able to get out and about, of taking time to write someone a short note, the value of being kind to people and treating everyone from the highest to the lowliest with respect, and the value of doing the right thing -- just because it's the right thing to do. He also demonstrated to me how important just showing up sometimes is--just to show support.
As our families live further and further apart, and our pace of living grows faster and gas prices soar to more than $4 a gallon,--there are a hundred reasons why not to attend a family reunion.
But there is one overriding reason I will always attend as long as I'm physically able to do so--To Honor my Father.
Dad, we had a good one this year. Wish you could have been there.

1 comment:

leslie ennis davidson said...

precious!! i am sooo glad you have started a blog... i love to hear the heart and thoughts of the dad that I cherish!!!